Thursday, August 9, 2007

Windfall at the yarn shops

OMG - two fantastic yarn shops in one day. After I finished the laundry and did my ironing, I took a drive to Wickford - which is down on Narragansett Bay. It's a cute little town with a very nice yarn shop called And the Beadz Go On. It isn't a huge place, but they have a very nice selection. A very nice lady, named Barbara, helped me. I got 3 skeins of Nashua Ivy and a pattern to make a scarf. Also got some Nashua superwash and buttons to make a sweater for Ruthie, along with some Minnow Knits patterns. I told them I was from Nashville and wandering around RI. They suggested I drive to Tiverton to another shop called Sakonnet Purls. I drove over several bridges - through Newport, Jamestown, Portsmouth and Melville. It seemed like a forever ride and I was never too sure I was going the right way. They had done a mapquest for me and printed it so I had some directions to go by. I did find the shop and trust me, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was in a large house - and more yarn than I have ever seen in one shop. Louise, the owner, designs many of the patterns - I bought two of them. I also got some Bazic Wool, some King Tut Cotton, and a couple of skeins of Encore Chunky. I got directions from Louise how to get to I195 and found the exit for Seekonk where I had left the doggy. It took me a while to find the place since I went in on the opposite side of town. She was very happy to see her grandma - even though she spent a good part of her day in the pool. Tomorrow she'll be going for a bath.

I do believe I've done enough damage in RI as far as yarn buying goes. I've been to six shops and made purchases at five of them. I will rest from here on in until I go home on Sunday. I can't wait.

No comments: